Backcountry Magazine seeks qualified applicants for three- to four-month internships this spring (March-June). Editorial Interns work at Backcountry Headquarters in Jeffersonville, Vt. Applications for summer internships (June-September) also accepted. Read below for more information and how to apply.
Ever wonder what it’s like behind the scenes at Backcountry Magazine? Join our team as the Editorial Intern and you’ll get firsthand experience.
Backcountry’s Editorial Intern works closely with the editorial and photo staff and must be based at Backcountry Headquarters in Jeffersonville, Vt. Day-to-day work depends on the intern’s interests and strengths, resulting in a specialized exposure to the outdoor publishing industry. Responsibilities could include but are not limited to:
* Proofreading, editing and fact checking
* Researching for Backcountry features and departments
* Soliciting and managing photo submissions
* Supporting the Backcountry team with administrative tasks
* Writing copy
* Corresponding with contributors
No specific computer proficiency is required, but interns are expected to be able to learn the basics of programs similar to Inkscape, InCopy, Photoshop and Excel. Applicants should be self-motivated and detail-oriented with good organizational skills. Since responsibilities vary wildly from day to day, the Editorial Intern must have a love of learning and an ability to multitask in a team atmosphere.
The 20+ hour/week position is unpaid, but offers rich experience and learning opportunities. To apply, email a cover letter, resume and writing samples to:
Applications for summer internships also accepted.
Circulation & Marketing Internship Program
Height of Land Publications (HOL) is home to Backcountry and Alpinist Magazines. HOL is a core action sports media company from those who live it. We are looking for an individual who is ready to assist us in creating a new circulation and marketing model for the evolving media landscape. It is time to expand our company’s reach and our team needs an intern who can help us research and explore how our existing programs can benefit from the online, social and mobile platforms. A strong candidate is already part of the next generation of content consumers and is looking for an arena to expand and share what the new media landscape has to offer each of our brands.
- 20-25 hours a week.
- Summer Internship (June 1 – August 15), Fall Internship (September 1 – December 1), Spring/Winter (January 15 – May 1).
- Interest in marketing and multi media business development.
- Ability to navigate and communicate across social media platforms
- Knowledge of mobile and tablet technologies
- Desire to work in fast paced, small business environment.
- Interest in working within the Outdoor and Ski/Snowboard Industries.
Overview of Responsibilities:
- Work directly with Publisher and Circulation and Marketing Manager on daily operations of company.
- Support the development of an aggressive circulation system specializing in new business development and existing renewals programs.
- Execute Marketing Strategies of all 3 titles while embracing each brand’s unique community and voice.
- Explore online, social and mobile platforms and how they can compliment our brand’s and their circulation and marketing models
- Research new advertising avenues.
- Assist with fulfillment of online store orders and subscription orders
- Facilitate shipping logistics from HOL headquarters to sponsored events nationwide
- Contribute to the Editorial and Production Teams as needed.
Please email cover letter and resume to: