Backcountry Magazine seeks qualified applicants for three- to four-month internships this spring (March-June). Editorial Interns work at Backcountry Headquarters in Jeffersonville, VT, and Online Editorial Interns work remotely. Applications for summer internships (June-September) also accepted. Read below for more information and how to apply.
Ever wonder what it’s like behind the scenes at Backcountry Magazine? Join our team as the Editorial Intern and you’ll get firsthand experience.
Backcountry’s Editorial Intern works closely with the editorial and photo staff and must be based at Backcountry Headquarters in Jeffersonville, VT. Day-to-day work depends on the intern’s interests and strengths, resulting in a specialized exposure to the outdoor publishing industry. Responsibilities could include but are not limited to:
* Proofreading, editing and fact checking
* Researching for Backcountry features and departments
* Soliciting and managing photo submissions
* Supporting the Backcountry team with administrative tasks
* Writing copy
* Corresponding with contributors
No specific computer proficiency is required, but interns are expected to be able to learn the basics of programs similar to Inkscape, InCopy, Photoshop and Excel. Applicants should be self-motivated and detail-oriented with good organizational skills. Since responsibilities vary wildly from day to day, the Editorial Intern must have a love of learning and an ability to multitask in a team atmosphere.
The 20+ hour/week position is unpaid, but offers rich experience and learning opportunities. To apply, email a cover letter, resume and writing samples to:
Applications for summer internships also accepted.
Online Editorial Internship
The Backcountry Online Editorial Intern plays a crucial role in the development of BackcountryMagazine.com by sourcing and producing the site’s featured content while maintaining Backcountry’s integrity and style.
The Online Intern’s daily responsibilities vary widely, from the glamorous (writing and editing, for example) to the mundane (expect to number-crunch from time to time).
* Proofread and fact check
* Work with contributors to obtain and develop stories for web-only departments on BackcountryMagazine.com
* Author articles for BackcountryMagazine.com
* Work on other web-based projects that fit the intern’s strengths
The best candidates will be self-starters with strong writing skills, attention to detail, familiarity with Photoshop and – most importantly – a genuine interest in the overall success of BackcountryMagazine.com. Applicants should have a passion for backcountry skiing. Backcountry’s Online Editor will work closely with the intern to harness and mature his or her strengths and skill sets. Candidates ought to be highly creative and enthusiastic. The intern will telecommute and must have his/her own computer and word processor.
The 20+ hour/week position is unpaid, but offers rich experience. Many of Backcountry’s previous interns have secured top-notch jobs in the outdoor and publishing industries. To apply, email a cover letter, resume and writing samples to:
Applications for summer internships also accepted.
Circulation & Marketing Internship Program 2012
Height of Land Publications (HOL) is home to Backcountry, Alpinist and Kronicle Magazines. HOL is a core action sports media company from those who live it. We are looking for an individual who is ready to assist us in creating a new circulation and marketing model for the evolving media landscape. It is time to expand our company’s reach and our team needs an intern who can help us research and explore how our existing programs can benefit from the online, social and mobile platforms. A strong candidate is already part of the next generation of content consumers and is looking for an arena to expand and share what the new media landscape has to offer each of our brands.
- 20-25 hours a week.
- Summer Internship (June 1 – August 15), Fall Internship (September 1 – December 1), Spring/Winter (January 15 – May 1).
- Interest in marketing and multi media business development.
- Ability to navigate and communicate across social media platforms
- Knowledge of mobile and tablet technologies
- Desire to work in fast paced, small business environment.
- Interest in working within the Outdoor and Ski/Snowboard Industries.
Overview of Responsibilities:
- Work directly with Publisher and Circulation and Marketing Manager on daily operations of company.
- Support the development of an aggressive circulation system specializing in new business development and existing renewals programs.
- Execute Marketing Strategies of all 3 titles while embracing each brand’s unique community and voice.
- Explore online, social and mobile platforms and how they can compliment our brand’s and their circulation and marketing models
- Research new advertising avenues.
- Assist with fulfillment of online store orders and subscription orders
- Facilitate shipping logistics from HOL headquarters to sponsored events nationwide
- Contribute to the Editorial and Production Teams as needed.
Please email cover letter and resume to: