Assistant Editor – Backcountry Magazine
Backcountry Magazine, based in Jeffersonville, Vt., is currently seeking an Assistant Editor. Likely candidates will be deadline-oriented and creative with strong writing skills and experience producing digital content. A passion for backcountry skiing or snowboarding is also a must.
The Assistant Editor reports to the Editor in Chief, works within a small production team and primarily focuses on BackcountryMagazine.com. Daily tasks include:
- Writing and building digital content for BackcountryMagazine.com.
- Contributing to the creative output and long-term planning for Backcountry Magazine and BackcountryMagazine.com.
- Promoting the Backcountry Magazine brand and print product through all digital platforms.
- Interacting with Backcountry’s community through social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- Assisting in print-related projects, including but not limited to writing, researching, proofing, copyediting and fact checking.
- Planning and conducting product testing.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field with 1+ years editorial experience.
- Strong knowledge of and interest in backcountry skiing/snowboarding.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work daily within a creative team.
- A solid blend of big-picture creativity, attention to detail, organizational skills and a commitment to quality.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects across platforms and meet deadlines.
- Ability to travel regularly throughout the winter for stories, trade shows and events.
- Proficiency in: Adobe Photoshop and Dreamweaver (or similar), WordPress, Google Analytics and all social media platforms. Familiarity with kegerator operation and maintenance a plus.
This entry-level position is based in our Jeffersonville, Vt. office.
How to Apply:
Please submit cover letter, resume and writing samples and salary requirements to tyler[at]backcountrymagazine[dot]com by Friday, June 19.